Childcare Worker (casual/relief)
In June 1995, more than 40 corporate leaders and individuals committed their support to make Kids Kottage a reality. Leaders like the ‘First Lady’ of Alberta at the time, Mrs. Colleen Klein, and community leader and businessman, Mr. J.R. Shaw were two of the first to put their support behind the Kids Kottage vision. Since the inception of the Kottage, they have evolved in their programming and philosophies to meet the needs of thousands of children. Kids Kottage is a 24/7 shelter operation for children 10 years and under that supports families by relieving them for a 72-hour period from the challenges they face like homelessness, the effects of poverty, mental or physical health barriers, and/or toxic levels of stress. The Kottage helps the whole family and fills in the gaps in a family’s support system, caring for the children while the adults are connected to the resources, they need to prevent the family from falling further into crisis. The Kottage is, above all, a prevention service provider where families can gain strength and stay together.
There are a lot of people in this world who need help. But there are a few more deserving of help than those under the age of ten. It’s about right now. It’s about the future. It’s about economics. It’s about human potential. It’s about doing the right thing. It’s about breaking the cycle. It’s about giving children a chance to live. It’s about the belief that every child deserves to BE SAFE. That’s why Kids Kottage exists.
Our vision is to build strong families and ensure the safe-keeping and well-being of all children.
- Reduce the long term effects of toxic stress and adverse childhood experiences
- Crisis intervention, early intervention, and prevention for the most vulnerable members of our community infants and children
- A community where every infant and child is safe
To prevent child abuse and neglect before it becomes a way of life.
To ensure infants and children are safely cared for when their families are in crisis or need respite.
To assist parents in crisis, continually helping them work toward meeting their potential.
For further information on Kids Kottage Edmonton, please visit their website at www.kidskottage.org.
The childcare worker tends to the needs of infants and children in the crisis prevention shelter, helping them with bathing, dressing, feeding, and organizing a safe environment conducive to play and activities where children can make developmental progress.
The Candidate will provide assessments, referrals, case management, and consultations in a responsive environment.
- Assists caregivers to create a nurturing, responsive and safe environment for their infants and children
- Assists caregivers to find resources and support to develop strategies which
- Facilitates a continuum of care within the community, and familial systems identified resources
- Maintains comprehensive and appropriate documentation
The ideal candidate will have an organized and compassionate approach to the work, strong team work skills, and a commitment to developing positive, supportive relationships.
- Current clear Intervention Record Check dated within the last six months
- Current clean Vulnerable Sector Record Check dated within the last six months
- Completion of a degree or diploma in a Human Services field
- Knowledge and understanding of the developmental needs of children birth to 11 years old
- Two years of documented child care experience (an asset)
- Experience in the Early Intervention and Prevention sector (an asset)
- Flexible and adaptable and able to work on short notice
- Culturally sensitive
- Someone that has a positive attitude, willing to learn, supportive of their teammates and open to change (an asset)
- Proven ability to provide effective communication, and collaboration
- Knowledge in Trauma-Informed care
- Demonstrated assessment, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills
- Experience in housekeeping, and meal preparation activities
- Intermediate competency with Microsoft Office (an asset)
- Physically fit to meet job demands
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Local and some long-distance travel is required
- Work schedule includes some evening and weekends
- Work is performed in various settings (community, networking, presentations, etc.)
$16.00 - $19.00 per hour and appropriate shift differentials
How to Apply
For the opportunity to join Kids Kottage in the role of the Childcare Worker, Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* We thank all applicants for your submissions; however, only candidates being considered for this role will be contacted.
Kids Kottage Value Statement: All children have inherent value as individuals and are recognized to have specific rights, established under the 1989 United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. Kids Kottage Foundation respects and upholds these specific and inherent rights.