Our Crisis Nursery
The Crisis Nursery offers emergency respite to families in crisis by admitting their infants and children up to 11 years of age for up to 72 hours, free of charge.
Parents who bring their children to the Kottage are met with support and encouragement.
- We stop the immediate threat of child abuse.
- Deescalate the stress parents are experiencing.
- Parents are relieved of parenting responsibilities for a short time.
- Parents are supported to identify and implement plans to solve or mitigate the issue of the crisis.
- Parents develop a plan to cope with their current crisis situation.
When parents call the Nursery:
- They hear a live person with an understanding ear and heart ready to listen.
- Parent and Family Support worker together develop a plan, whether or not the children are admitted, that will help mitigate or solve the current crisis.
- Parents supported to set achievable goals to keep them on track with their plan.
- Parents commit to taking action to solve the crisis.
- At time of discharge Parent and Family Support worker discuss the effectiveness of the plan in solving the current crises and future steps.
- Parent is referred to the Follow-up program
For Children at the Nursery:
- The Kottage is a safe, nurturing home away from home during a time of family crisis.
- Child care workers and trained volunteers care for your children around the clock.
- Children engage in play activities that encourage the building of strong brain architecture and healthy physical growth and development of each child.
- Children enjoy three healthy meals each day as well as three snacks.
For Parents in Crisis:
- Parents can call a crisis telephone line any time, day or night, for support and assistance.
- Parents can bring their children day or night.
- Parents and Family Support worker develop a plan to build on the parent’s strength to ask for help.