Our Crisis Prevention Shelter
The Crisis Prevention Shelter offers emergency respite to families in crisis by admitting their children from birth to the age of 10 for up to 72 hours, free of charge.
Parents who bring their children to the Kottage are met with support and encouragement:
- We stop the immediate threat of child abuse.
- Deescalate the stress parents are experiencing.
- Relieve parents of parenting responsibilities for a short time.
- Support parents in identifying and implementing plans to solve or mitigate the issue of the crisis.
- Aid parents in developing a plan to cope with their current crisis situation and prevent future crisis.
When parents call the Kottage:
- They hear a live person with an understanding ear and heart ready to listen.
- Parents and Kids Kottage Family Support workers develop a plan together, whether or not the children are admitted, that will help mitigate or solve the current crisis and prevent future crisis.
- They gain support in setting goals and creating a plan to achieve those goals
- They commit to taking action to solve the crisis.
- At time of discharge Parent and Family Support worker discuss the effectiveness of the plan in solving the current crises and future steps.
- Parent is referred to our Follow-Up Program
For Children at the Kottage:
- The Kottage is a safe, nurturing home away from home during a time of family crisis.
- Child care workers and trained volunteers care for children around the clock.
- Children engage in play activities that encourage the building of strong brain architecture, healthy physical growth and development of each child.
- Children enjoy three healthy meals and three snacks each day.
For Parents in Crisis:
- Parents can call a crisis telephone line any time, day or night, for support and assistance.
- Parents can bring their children day or night.
- Parents and our family support workers develop a plan to build on the parents' strength to ask for help.